- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of chips word
- abbreviation CHIPS CHIPS is a system for transferring funds that makes large value payments in US dollars between major banks. 3
- noun chips a tricky or special method by which an opponent can be thrown. 1
- verb with object chips to hew or cut with an ax, chisel, etc. 1
- verb with object chips to cut, break off, or gouge out (bits or fragments): He chipped a few pieces of ice from the large cube. 1
- verb with object chips to disfigure by breaking off a fragment: to chip the edge of a saucer. 1
- verb with object chips to shape or produce by cutting or flaking away pieces: to chip a figure out of wood. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of chips
First appearance:before 1300
One of the 15% oldest English words
1300-50; (noun) Middle English chip (compare Old English cipp plowshare, beam, i.e., piece cut off); (v.) late Middle English chippen (compare Old English -cippian in forcippian to cut off); akin to Middle Low German, Middle Dutch kippen to chip eggs, hatch
Parts of speech for Chips
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 96% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
chips usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for chips
- scratch — to break, mar, or mark the surface of by rubbing, scraping, or tearing with something sharp or rough: to scratch one's hand on a nail.
- coin — A coin is a small piece of metal which is used as money.
- currency — The money used in a particular country is referred to as its currency.
- play money — paper that is cut and printed to resemble paper money, often used in playing board games.
Antonyms for chips
- mends — to make (something broken, worn, torn, or otherwise damaged) whole, sound, or usable by repairing: to mend old clothes; to mend a broken toy.
Top questions with chips
- how to make kale chips?
- how to melt chocolate chips in microwave?
- how to melt chocolate chips?
- how to make tortilla chips?
- how to make potato chips?
- how to make banana chips?
- how to make bananas chips?
- how to make apple chips?
- how to make homemade potato chips?
- how to make pita chips?
- who invented potato chips?
- how to make sweet potato chips?
- how to make zucchini chips?
- how to melt chocolate chips for dipping?
- where to buy kale chips?
- Words starting with c
- Words starting with ch
- Words starting with chi
- Words starting with chip
- Words starting with chips
- Words containing the letters c
- Words containing the letters c,h
- Words containing the letters c,h,i
- Words containing the letters c,h,i,p
- Words containing the letters c,h,i,p,s
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?