- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of chinned word
- noun chinned the lower extremity of the face, below the mouth. 1
- noun chinned the prominence of the lower jaw. 1
- noun chinned Informal. chin-up. 1
- verb with object chinned Gymnastics. to bring one's chin up to (a horizontal bar, from which one is hanging by the hands), by bending the elbows. to raise (oneself) to this position. 1
- verb with object chinned to raise or hold to the chin, as a violin. 1
- verb with object chinned Archaic. to talk to; chatter with. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of chinned
First appearance:before 1000
One of the 6% oldest English words
before 1000; Middle English; Old English cin(n); cognate with Dutch kin, German Kinn chin, Old Norse kinn, Gothic kinnus cheek, Latin gena, Greek génus chin, gnáthos jaw (see genial2, -gnathous), Sanskrit hanus jaw
Parts of speech for Chinned
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 95% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
chinned usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for chinned
- recite — to repeat the words of, as from memory, especially in a formal manner: to recite a lesson.
- pronounce — to enunciate or articulate (sounds, words, sentences, etc.).
- blurt — If someone blurts something, they say it suddenly, after trying hard to keep quiet or to keep it secret.
- whisper — to speak with soft, hushed sounds, using the breath, lips, etc., but with no vibration of the vocal cords.
- deliver — If you deliver something somewhere, you take it there.
Antonyms for chinned
- mumble — to speak in a low indistinct manner, almost to an unintelligible extent; mutter.
- conceal — If you conceal something, you cover it or hide it carefully.
- hide — Informal. to administer a beating to; thrash.
- refrain — to abstain from an impulse to say or do something (often followed by from): I refrained from telling him what I thought.
- suppress — to put an end to the activities of (a person, body of persons, etc.): to suppress the Communist and certain left-leaning parties.
- Words starting with c
- Words starting with ch
- Words starting with chi
- Words starting with chin
- Words starting with chinn
- Words starting with chinne
- Words starting with chinned
- Words containing the letters c
- Words containing the letters c,h
- Words containing the letters c,h,i
- Words containing the letters c,h,i,n
- Words containing the letters c,h,i,n,e
- Words containing the letters c,h,i,n,e,d
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?