- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- /ˈtʃæl ɪndʒ/
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- /ˈtʃæl ɪndʒ/
Definitions of challenge word
- variable noun challenge A challenge is something new and difficult which requires great effort and determination. 3
- variable noun challenge A challenge to something is a questioning of its truth or value. A challenge to someone is a questioning of their authority. 3
- verb challenge If you challenge ideas or people, you question their truth, value, or authority. 3
- verb challenge If you challenge someone, you invite them to fight or compete with you in some way. 3
- verb challenge Challenge is also a noun. 3
- verb challenge If someone is challenged by a guard, they are ordered to stop and say who they are or why they are there. 3
Information block about the term
Origin of challenge
First appearance:before 1175
One of the 8% oldest English words
1175-1225; Middle English chalenge < Old French, variant of chalonge < Latin calumnia calumny
Parts of speech for Challenge
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 93% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
challenge usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for challenge
- try — to attempt to do or accomplish: Try it before you say it's simple.
- claim — If you say that someone claims that something is true, you mean they say that it is true but you are not sure whether or not they are telling the truth.
- confront — If you are confronted with a problem, task, or difficulty, you have to deal with it.
- defy — If you defy someone or something that is trying to make you behave in a particular way, you refuse to obey them and behave in that way.
- impose — to lay on or set as something to be borne, endured, obeyed, fulfilled, paid, etc.: to impose taxes.
- trial — German Der Prozess. a novel (1925) by Franz Kafka.
- task — a definite piece of work assigned to, falling to, or expected of a person; duty.
- contest — A contest is a competition or game in which people try to win.
- question — a sentence in an interrogative form, addressed to someone in order to get information in reply.
- objection — a reason or argument offered in disagreement, opposition, refusal, or disapproval.
Antonyms for challenge
- deny — When you deny something, you state that it is not true.
- dodge — to elude or evade by a sudden shift of position or by strategy: to dodge a blow; to dodge a question.
- ignore — to refrain from noticing or recognizing: to ignore insulting remarks.
- calm — A calm person does not show or feel any worry, anger, or excitement.
- answer — When you answer someone who has asked you something, you say something back to them.
- acceptance — Acceptance of an offer or a proposal is the act of saying yes to it or agreeing to it.
- peace — the normal, nonwarring condition of a nation, group of nations, or the world.
- agree — If people agree with each other about something, they have the same opinion about it or say that they have the same opinion.
- decide — If you decide to do something, you choose to do it, usually after you have thought carefully about the other possibilities.
- win — to finish first in a race, contest, or the like.
Top questions with challenge
- what is the duct tape challenge?
- what is the condom challenge?
- what is the murph challenge?
- what is a challenge group?
- what is a challenge coin?
- what is the bean boozled challenge?
- how to do the warhead challenge?
- how does the modern study of history challenge earlier histories?
- what is the saltine challenge?
- what is the most significant challenge that society faces today?
- how do you spell challenge?
- where can you buy the bean boozled challenge?
- Words starting with c
- Words starting with ch
- Words starting with cha
- Words starting with chal
- Words starting with chall
- Words starting with challe
- Words starting with challen
- Words starting with challeng
- Words starting with challenge
- Words containing the letters c
- Words containing the letters c,h
- Words containing the letters c,h,a
- Words containing the letters c,h,a,l
- Words containing the letters c,h,a,l,e
- Words containing the letters c,h,a,l,e,n