- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of cartouche word
- noun cartouche a carved or cast ornamental tablet or panel in the form of a scroll, sometimes having an inscription 3
- noun cartouche an oblong figure enclosing characters expressing royal or divine names in Egyptian hieroglyphics 3
- noun cartouche the paper case holding combustible materials in certain fireworks 3
- noun cartouche a cartridge or a box for cartridges 3
- noun cartouche a scroll-like ornament or tablet, esp. as an architectural feature 3
- noun cartouche on Egyptian monuments, an oval or oblong figure containing the hieroglyphs of the name of a ruler or deity 3
Information block about the term
Origin of cartouche
First appearance:before 1605
One of the 40% oldest English words
1605-15; < Middle French < Italian cartoccio, equivalent to cart(a) paper (see carte) + -occio augmentative suffix
Parts of speech for Cartouche
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 71% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
cartouche usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for cartouche
- wheel — a circular frame or disk arranged to revolve on an axis, as on or in vehicles or machinery.
- shell — a hard outer covering of an animal, as the hard case of a mollusk, or either half of the case of a bivalve mollusk.
- cylinder — A cylinder is an object with flat circular ends and long straight sides.
- ball — A ball is a round object that is used in games such as tennis, baseball, football, basketball, and cricket.
- convolution — Convolutions are curves on an object or design that has a lot of curves.
Top questions with cartouche
- what is a cartouche?
- how to make a cartouche with your name?
- what is cartouche?
- how to pronounce cartouche?
- how to make a cartouche?
- what is a cartouche used for?
- what is the definition of cartouche?
- what does cartouche mean?
- what is an egyptian cartouche?
- how to make cartouche?
- what is a cartouche in ancient egypt?
- what is the meaning of cartouche?
- what is a egyptian cartouche?
- what was a cartouche?
- how to make an egyptian cartouche?
- Words starting with c
- Words starting with ca
- Words starting with car
- Words starting with cart
- Words starting with carto
- Words starting with cartou
- Words starting with cartouc
- Words starting with cartouch
- Words starting with cartouche
- Words containing the letters c
- Words containing the letters c,a
- Words containing the letters c,a,r
- Words containing the letters c,a,r,t
- Words containing the letters c,a,r,t,o
- Words containing the letters c,a,r,t,o,u
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?