- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of cabal word
- noun cabal a secret or exclusive set of people; clique 4
- countable noun cabal If you refer to a group of politicians or other people as a cabal, you are criticizing them because they meet and decide things secretly. 3
- noun cabal a small group of intriguers, esp one formed for political purposes 3
- noun cabal a secret plot, esp a political one; conspiracy; intrigue 3
- verb cabal to form a cabal; conspire; plot 3
- noun cabal a small group of persons joined in a secret, often political, intrigue; junta 3
Information block about the term
Origin of cabal
First appearance:before 1610
One of the 40% oldest English words
1610-20, for an earlier sense; earlier cabbal < Medieval Latin cabbala. See cabala
Parts of speech for Cabal
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 85% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
cabal usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for cabal
- scheme — a plan, design, or program of action to be followed; project.
- conspiracy — Conspiracy is the secret planning by a group of people to do something illegal.
- intrigue — to arouse the curiosity or interest of by unusual, new, or otherwise fascinating or compelling qualities; appeal strongly to; captivate: The plan intrigues me, but I wonder if it will work.
- faction — a form of writing or filmmaking that treats real people or events as if they were fictional or uses them as an integral part of a fictional account.
- section — a part that is cut off or separated.
- connive — If one person connives with another to do something, they secretly try to achieve something which will benefit both of them.
- conspire — If two or more people or groups conspire to do something illegal or harmful, they make a secret agreement to do it.
- complot — a plot or conspiracy
- frame up — a fraudulent incrimination of an innocent person.
Top questions with cabal
- what is a cabal?
- what does cabal mean?
- what is cabal?
- what is the cabal?
- how to update cabal?
- how to play cabal online?
- who is the cabal in america?
- how to make cabal private server?
- how to play cabal?
- cabal how to craft?
- what is the meaning of cabal?
- how to use force core in cabal?
- how to download cabal ph?
- who is the cabal?
- how to download cabal?
- Words starting with c
- Words starting with ca
- Words starting with cab
- Words starting with caba
- Words starting with cabal
- Words containing the letters c
- Words containing the letters c,a
- Words containing the letters c,a,b
- Words containing the letters c,a,b,l