- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of bug word
- countable noun bug A bug is an insect or similar small creature. 3
- countable noun bug A bug is an illness which is caused by small organisms such as bacteria. 3
- countable noun bug If there is a bug in a computer program, there is a mistake in it. 3
- countable noun bug A bug is a tiny hidden microphone which transmits what people are saying. 3
- verb bug If someone bugs a place, they hide tiny microphones in it which transmit what people are saying. 3
- singular noun bug You can say that someone has been bitten by a particular bug when they suddenly become very enthusiastic about something. 3
Information block about the term
Origin of bug
First appearance:before 1615
One of the 41% oldest English words
1615-25; 1885-90 for def 4; 1910-15 for def 5a; 1915-20 for def 14; 1945-50 for def 15; earlier bugge beetle, apparently alteration of Middle English budde, Old English -budda beetle; sense “leave” obscurely related to other senses and perhaps of distinct orig.
Parts of speech for Bug
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 95% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
bug usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for bug
- microbe — a microorganism, especially a pathogenic bacterium.
- virus — an ultramicroscopic (20 to 300 nm in diameter), metabolically inert, infectious agent that replicates only within the cells of living hosts, mainly bacteria, plants, and animals: composed of an RNA or DNA core, a protein coat, and, in more complex types, a surrounding envelope.
- disease — a disordered or incorrectly functioning organ, part, structure, or system of the body resulting from the effect of genetic or developmental errors, infection, poisons, nutritional deficiency or imbalance, toxicity, or unfavorable environmental factors; illness; sickness; ailment.
- infection — an act or fact of infecting; state of being infected.
- germ — a microorganism, especially when disease-producing; microbe.
- annoy — If someone or something annoys you, it makes you fairly angry and impatient.
- harass — to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute.
- pester — to bother persistently with petty annoyances; trouble: Don't pester me with your trivial problems.
- irk — to irritate, annoy, or exasperate: It irked him to wait in line.
- irritate — to excite to impatience or anger; annoy.
Antonyms for bug
- apathy — You can use apathy to talk about someone's state of mind if you are criticizing them because they do not seem to be interested in or enthusiastic about anything.
- indifference — lack of interest or concern: We were shocked by their indifference toward poverty.
- lethargy — the quality or state of being drowsy and dull, listless and unenergetic, or indifferent and lazy; apathetic or sluggish inactivity.
- perfection — the state or quality of being or becoming perfect.
- advantage — An advantage is something that puts you in a better position than other people.
- aid — Aid is money, equipment, or services that are provided for people, countries, or organizations who need them but cannot provide them for themselves.
- soothe — to tranquilize or calm, as a person or the feelings; relieve, comfort, or refresh: soothing someone's anger; to soothe someone with a hot drink.
- assist — If you assist someone, you help them to do a job or task by doing part of the work for them.
- delight — Delight is a feeling of very great pleasure.
- please — (used as a polite addition to requests, commands, etc.) if you would be so obliging; kindly: Please come here. Will you please turn the radio off?
Top questions with bug
- how to get rid of bed bug?
- what do bed bug bites look like?
- what do bed bug look like?
- how do you get bed bug?
- how to kill bed bug?
- where do bed bug come from?
- what do a bed bug look like?
- how to get rid of bed bug bites?
- how to treat bed bug bite?
- how to treat bed bug bites?
- what are bed bug?
- how to get rid of bug bites?
- how to treat bed bug?
- how to find bed bug?
- how long does bed bug bite last?