- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of bond word
- countable noun bond A bond between people is a strong feeling of friendship, love, or shared beliefs and experiences that unites them. 3
- verb bond When people bond with each other, they form a relationship based on love or shared beliefs and experiences. You can also say that people bond or that something bonds them. 3
- countable noun bond A bond between people or groups is a close connection that they have with each other, for example because they have a special agreement. 3
- noun plural bond Bonds are feelings, duties, or customs that force you to behave in a particular way. 3
- countable noun bond A bond between two things is the way in which they stick to one another or are joined in some way. 3
- verb bond When one thing bonds with another, it sticks to it or becomes joined to it in some way. You can also say that two things bond together, or that something bonds them together. 3
Information block about the term
Origin of bond
First appearance:before 1175
One of the 8% oldest English words
1175-1225; Middle English (noun); variant of band3
Parts of speech for Bond
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 97% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
bond usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for bond
- fetter — a chain or shackle placed on the feet.
- chain — A chain consists of metal rings connected together in a line.
- tie-in — pertaining to or designating a sale in which the buyer in order to get the item desired must also purchase one or more other, usually undesired, items.
- binding — A binding promise, agreement, or decision must be obeyed or carried out.
- handcuff — a ring-shaped metal device that can be locked around a person's wrist, usually one of a pair connected by a short chain or linked bar; shackle: The police put handcuffs on the suspect.
- bind — If something binds people together, it makes them feel as if they are all part of the same group or have something in common.
- fix — to repair; mend.
- glue — a hard, impure, protein gelatin, obtained by boiling skins, hoofs, and other animal substances in water, that when melted or diluted is a strong adhesive.
- connect — If something or someone connects one thing to another, or if one thing connects to another, the two things are joined together.
- fuse — Electricity. a protective device, used in an electric circuit, containing a conductor that melts under heat produced by an excess current, thereby opening the circuit. Compare circuit breaker.
Antonyms for bond
- divorce — a divorced man.
- dislike — to regard with displeasure, antipathy, or aversion: I dislike working. I dislike oysters.
- hatred — the feeling of one who hates; intense dislike or extreme aversion or hostility.
- hate — to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest: to hate the enemy; to hate bigotry.
- disagreement — the act, state, or fact of disagreeing.
- loosen — to unfasten or undo, as a bond or fetter.
- let go — to move or proceed, especially to or from something: They're going by bus.
- open — not closed or barred at the time, as a doorway by a door, a window by a sash, or a gateway by a gate: to leave the windows open at night.
- unfasten — to release from or as from fastenings; detach.
- unstick — to free, as one thing stuck to another.
Top questions with bond
- what is a bond?
- what is a covalent bond?
- what is an ionic bond?
- why do atoms bond?
- how many james bond movies are there?
- what is a hydrogen bond?
- who is the new james bond?
- what is a surety bond?
- who played james bond?
- what is a chemical bond?
- actors who played james bond?
- how many james bond movies?
- how much is my savings bond worth?
- who was the first james bond?
- what is a peptide bond?
- Words containing the letters b
- Words containing the letters b,o
- Words containing the letters b,o,n
- Words containing the letters b,o,n,d