- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of bland word
- adjective bland If you describe someone or something as bland, you mean that they are rather dull and unexciting. 3
- adjective bland Food that is bland has very little flavour. 3
- adjective bland devoid of any distinctive or stimulating characteristics; uninteresting; dull 3
- adjective bland gentle and agreeable; suave 3
- adjective bland (of the weather) mild and soothing 3
- adjective bland unemotional or unmoved 3
Information block about the term
Origin of bland
First appearance:before 1590
One of the 37% oldest English words
First recorded in 1590-1600, bland is from the Latin word blandus of a smooth tongue, pleasant, soothing
Parts of speech for Bland
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 95% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
bland usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for bland
- tedious — marked by monotony or tedium; long and tiresome: tedious tasks; a tedious journey.
- watery — pertaining to or connected with water: watery Neptune.
- insipid — without distinctive, interesting, or stimulating qualities; vapid: an insipid personality.
- boring — Someone or something boring is so dull and uninteresting that they make people tired and impatient.
- wishy-washy — lacking in decisiveness; without strength or character; irresolute.
Antonyms for bland
- interesting — engaging or exciting and holding the attention or curiosity: an interesting book.
- lively — eventful, stirring, or exciting: The opposition gave us a lively time.
- delicious — very enjoyable; delightful
- distinctive — serving to distinguish; characteristic; distinguishing: the distinctive stripes of the zebra.
- tasty — good-tasting; savory: a tasty canapé.
Top questions with bland
- what does bland mean?
- what is a bland diet?
- what are bland foods?
- what is bland?
- what is bland food?
- what does a bland diet consist of?
- what is bland diet?
- what to eat on a bland diet?
- what can you eat on a bland diet?
- how much bland diet to feed dog?
- what is the definition of bland?
- what does the word bland mean?
- what is a bland diet for gallbladder?
- what constitutes a bland diet?
- what a bland diet consists of?
- Words starting with b
- Words starting with bl
- Words starting with bla
- Words starting with blan
- Words starting with bland
- Words containing the letters b
- Words containing the letters b,l
- Words containing the letters b,l,a
- Words containing the letters b,l,a,n
- Words containing the letters b,l,a,n,d
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?