- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of bane word
- singular noun bane The bane of someone or the bane of someone's life is something that frequently makes them feel unhappy or annoyed. 3
- noun bane a person or thing that causes misery or distress (esp in the phrase bane of one's life) 3
- noun bane something that causes death or destruction 3
- noun bane a fatal poison 3
- noun bane (in combination) 3
- noun bane ruin or distress 3
Information block about the term
Origin of bane
First appearance:before 1000
One of the 6% oldest English words
before 1000; Middle English; Old English bana slayer; cognate with Old Norse bani death, murderer, Old Frisian bona murder, Old Saxon bano murderer, Old High German bano slayer, bana death; akin to Old English benn, Gothic banja wound
Parts of speech for Bane
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 88% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
bane usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for bane
- ruination — the act or state of ruining or the state of being ruined.
- undoing — the reversing of what has been done; annulling.
- disaster — a calamitous event, especially one occurring suddenly and causing great loss of life, damage, or hardship, as a flood, airplane crash, or business failure.
- downfall — descent to a lower position or standing; overthrow; ruin.
- torment — to afflict with great bodily or mental suffering; pain: to be tormented with violent headaches.
Antonyms for bane
- building — A building is a structure that has a roof and walls, for example a house or a factory.
- good luck — good fortune
- prosperity — a successful, flourishing, or thriving condition, especially in financial respects; good fortune.
- success — the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors; the accomplishment of one's goals.
- contentment — Contentment is a feeling of quiet happiness and satisfaction.
Top questions with bane
- who plays bane?
- who played bane?
- who played bane in batman?
- who plays bane in batman?
- why does bane wear a mask?
- what does bane mean?
- who played bane in the dark knight rises?
- who plays bane in the dark knight rises?
- what does bane of arthropods mean?
- who is bane?
- why does bane wear the mask?
- what is bane of arthropods in minecraft?
- why does bane wear his mask?
- actor who played bane?
- who is darth bane?
- Words containing the letters b
- Words containing the letters b,a
- Words containing the letters b,a,n
- Words containing the letters b,a,n,e