- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of ballgame word
- noun ballgame any game played with a ball 3
- noun ballgame a game of baseball 3
- noun ballgame a situation; state of affairs (esp in the phrase a whole new ballgame) 3
- noun ballgame a game played with a ball; specif., a baseball game 3
- noun ballgame any contest 3
- noun ballgame a set of circumstances 3
Information block about the term
Origin of ballgame
First appearance:before 1840
One of the 33% newest English words
An Americanism dating back to 1840-50
Parts of speech for Ballgame
A pretty common term. Usually people know it’s meaning, but prefer to use a more spread out synonym. About 39% of English native speakers know the meaning and use word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
ballgame usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for ballgame
- reaction — a reverse movement or tendency; an action in a reverse direction or manner.
- life — the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.
- force — physical power or strength possessed by a living being: He used all his force in opening the window.
- deal — If you say that you need or have a great deal of or a good deal of a particular thing, you are emphasizing that you need or have a lot of it.
- process — a systematic series of actions directed to some end: to devise a process for homogenizing milk.
Antonyms for ballgame
- idleness — the quality, state, or condition of being lazy, inactive, or idle: His lack of interest in the larger world and his consummate idleness were the causes of their dreadful divorce.
- inactivity — not active: an inactive volcano.
- inaction — absence of action; idleness.
- laziness — lazy evaluation
- lethargy — the quality or state of being drowsy and dull, listless and unenergetic, or indifferent and lazy; apathetic or sluggish inactivity.
Top questions with ballgame
- who wrote take me out to the ballgame?
- who sings take me out to the ballgame?
- who sang take me out to the ballgame?
- who wrote the song take me out to the ballgame?
- who won the ballgame today?
- Words starting with b
- Words starting with ba
- Words starting with bal
- Words starting with ball
- Words starting with ballg
- Words starting with ballga
- Words starting with ballgam
- Words starting with ballgame
- Words containing the letters b
- Words containing the letters b,a
- Words containing the letters b,a,l
- Words containing the letters b,a,l,g
- Words containing the letters b,a,l,g,m
- Words containing the letters b,a,l,g,m,e