- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of around word
- preposition around To be positioned around a place or object means to surround it or be on all sides of it. To move around a place means to go along its edge, back to your starting point. 3
- preposition around Around is also an adverb. 3
- preposition around If you move around a corner or obstacle, you move to the other side of it. If you look around a corner or obstacle, you look to see what is on the other side. 3
- adverb around If you turn around, you turn so that you are facing in the opposite direction. 3
- preposition around If you move around a place, you travel through it, going to most of its parts. If you look around a place, you look at every part of it. 3
- preposition around If someone moves around a place, they move through various parts of that place without having any particular destination. 3
Information block about the term
Origin of around
First appearance:before 1250
One of the 11% oldest English words
1250-1300; Middle English around(e). See a-1, round1
Parts of speech for Around
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 99% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
around usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for around
- over — above in place or position: the roof over one's head.
- about — You use about to introduce who or what something relates to or concerns.
- neighboring — situated or living near another: one of our neighbor nations.
- throughout — in or to every part of; everywhere in: They searched throughout the house.
- all over — All over a place means in every part of it.
- covering — A covering is a layer of something that protects or hides something else.
- round — having a flat, circular surface, as a disk.
- here and there — in this place; in this spot or locality (opposed to there): Put the pen here.
- across — If someone or something goes across a place or a boundary, they go from one side of it to the other.
- just about — more or less
- in — (used to indicate inclusion within space, a place, or limits): walking in the park.
- here — in this place; in this spot or locality (opposed to there): Put the pen here.
- present — being, existing, or occurring at this time or now; current: increasing respect for the present ruler of the small country.
- available — If something you want or need is available, you can find it or obtain it.
- all over the place — If something is happening all over the place, it is happening in many different places.
Antonyms for around
- run-off — to go quickly by moving the legs more rapidly than at a walk and in such a manner that for an instant in each step all or both feet are off the ground.
- run off — to go quickly by moving the legs more rapidly than at a walk and in such a manner that for an instant in each step all or both feet are off the ground.
- awol — If someone in the Armed Forces goes AWOL, they leave their post without the permission of a superior officer. AWOL is an abbreviation for 'absent without leave'.
- gone — past participle of go1 .
- non-extant — in existence; still existing; not destroyed or lost: There are only three extant copies of the document.
- through — in at one end, side, or surface and out at the other: to pass through a tunnel; We drove through Denver without stopping. Sun came through the window.
- by means of — If you do something by means of a particular method, instrument, or process, you do it using that method, instrument, or process.
- by dint of — If you achieve a result by dint of something, you achieve it by means of that thing.
- at the hand of — through the action of
- by virtue of — on account of or by reason of
Top questions with around
- what goes around comes around?
- what is around me?
- what is there to do around my location?
- when i come around lyrics?
- when i come around?
- how many miles around the earth?
- what comes around goes around?
- how long have humans been around?
- when the man comes around?
- how many miles is it around the world?
- what goes around comes around lyrics?
- how many miles around the world?
- green day when i come around?
- justin timberlake what goes around comes around?
- how many mile around the world?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with ar
- Words starting with aro
- Words starting with arou
- Words starting with aroun
- Words starting with around
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,r
- Words containing the letters a,r,o
- Words containing the letters a,r,o,u
- Words containing the letters a,r,o,u,n
- Words containing the letters a,r,o,u,n,d
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?