- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of announce word
- verb announce If you announce something, you tell people about it publicly or officially. 3
- verb announce If you announce a piece of news or an intention, especially something that people may not like, you say it loudly and clearly, so that everyone you are with can hear it. 3
- verb announce If an airport or railway employee announces something, they tell the public about it by means of a loudspeaker system. 3
- verb announce If a letter, sound, or sign announces something, it informs people about it. 3
- verb announce If a meal or a guest is announced by a servant at a formal party, the servant says clearly that the meal is ready or the guest has arrived. 3
- verb announce to make known publicly; proclaim 3
Information block about the term
Origin of announce
First appearance:before 1490
One of the 26% oldest English words
1490-1500; < Middle French anoncer < Latin annūntiāre, equivalent to an- an-2 + nūntiāre to announce, derivative of nūntius messenger
Parts of speech for Announce
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 93% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
announce usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for announce
- disclose — to make known; reveal or uncover: to disclose a secret.
- reveal — to make known; disclose; divulge: to reveal a secret.
- publish — to issue (printed or otherwise reproduced textual or graphic material, computer software, etc.) for sale or distribution to the public.
- tell — to give an account or narrative of; narrate; relate (a story, tale, etc.): to tell the story of Lincoln's childhood.
- report — an account or statement describing in detail an event, situation, or the like, usually as the result of observation, inquiry, etc.: a report on the peace conference; a medical report on the patient.
Antonyms for announce
- conceal — If you conceal something, you cover it or hide it carefully.
- hide — Informal. to administer a beating to; thrash.
- suppress — to put an end to the activities of (a person, body of persons, etc.): to suppress the Communist and certain left-leaning parties.
- listen — to give attention with the ear; attend closely for the purpose of hearing; give ear.
- bottle up — If you bottle up strong feelings, you do not express them or show them, especially when this makes you tense or angry.
Top questions with announce
- when to announce pregnancy?
- when is it safe to announce pregnancy?
- how to announce pregnancy?
- when should you announce a pregnancy?
- when do they announce nba mvp?
- when do you announce pregnancy?
- how to announce pregnancy to parents?
- how to announce pregnancy to family?
- when should i announce my pregnancy?
- how to announce pregnancy to husband?
- when do people announce pregnancy?
- when to announce pregnancy at work?
- when should you announce your pregnancy?
- why is 12 weeks safe to announce pregnancy?
- when do they announce bowl games?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with an
- Words starting with ann
- Words starting with anno
- Words starting with annou
- Words starting with announ
- Words starting with announc
- Words starting with announce
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,n
- Words containing the letters a,n,o
- Words containing the letters a,n,o,u
- Words containing the letters a,n,o,u,c
- Words containing the letters a,n,o,u,c,e
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?