- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of aids word
- uncountable noun aids AIDS is a disease which destroys the natural system of protection that the body has against other diseases. AIDS is an abbreviation for 'acquired immune deficiency syndrome'. 3
- noun acronym aids acquired immune (or immuno-)deficiency syndrome: a condition, caused by a virus, in which certain white blood cells (lymphocytes) are destroyed, resulting in loss of the body's ability to protect itself against disease. AIDS is transmitted by sexual intercourse, through infected blood and blood products, and through the placenta 3
- noun aids a condition in which an acquired deficiency of certain leukocytes, esp. T cells, results in a variety of infections, some forms of cancer, and the degeneration of the nervous system: caused by an HIV virus which infects T cells and is transmitted via body fluids, esp. sexual secretions and blood 3
- noun aids the division of the United States International Development Cooperation Agency that coordinates the various foreign aid programs with U.S. foreign policy: established in 1961. 1
- verb with object aids to provide support for or relief to; help: to aid the homeless victims of the fire. 1
- verb with object aids to promote the progress or accomplishment of; facilitate. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of aids
First appearance:before 1982
One of the 1% newest English words
1982; a(cquired) i(mmune) d(eficiency) s(yndrome)
Parts of speech for Aids
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 96% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
aids usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for aids
- virus — an ultramicroscopic (20 to 300 nm in diameter), metabolically inert, infectious agent that replicates only within the cells of living hosts, mainly bacteria, plants, and animals: composed of an RNA or DNA core, a protein coat, and, in more complex types, a surrounding envelope.
- acquired immune deficiency syndrome — Acquired immune deficiency syndrome is the same as AIDS.
- sexually transmitted disease — any disease characteristically transmitted by sexual contact, as gonorrhea, syphilis, genital herpes, and chlamydia. Abbreviation: STD.
- std — telephone: area code
- hiv — a variable retrovirus that invades and inactivates helper T cells of the immune system and is a cause of AIDS and AIDS-related complex: variants were identified in several laboratories and independently named lymphadenopathy-associated virus (LAV) human T-cell lymphotropic virus type 3 (HTLV-3) and AIDS-related virus (ARV) the name human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) being subsequently proposed by an international taxonomy committee.
Antonyms for aids
- abuses — Plural form of abuse.
- adversities — adverse or unfavorable fortune or fate; a condition marked by misfortune, calamity, or distress: Friends will show their true colors in times of adversity.
- afflictions — Plural form of affliction.
- affronts — Plural form of affront.
- aggravations — Plural form of aggravation.
Top questions with aids
- what is aids?
- what does aids stand for?
- how did easy e get aids?
- how do you get aids?
- where did aids comes from?
- what are aids?
- how do you gets aids?
- where did aids come from?
- how did aids started?
- how did aids starts?
- how did aids start?
- how did eazy e get aids?
- what is the difference between hiv and aids?
- how is aids transmitted?
- who gave eazy e aids?
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,i
- Words containing the letters a,i,d
- Words containing the letters a,i,d,s
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?