- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of affairs word
- noun plural affairs personal or business interests 3
- noun plural affairs matters of public interest 3
- noun affairs anything done or to be done; anything requiring action or effort; business; concern: an affair of great importance. 1
- noun affairs affairs, matters of commercial or public interest or concern; the transactions of public or private business or finance: affairs of state; Before taking such a long trip you should put all your affairs in order. 1
- noun affairs an event or a performance; a particular action, operation, or proceeding: When did this affair happen? 1
- noun affairs thing; matter (applied to anything made or existing, usually with a descriptive or qualifying term): Our new computer is an amazing affair. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of affairs
First appearance:before 1250
One of the 11% oldest English words
1250-1300; earlier affaire < French, Old French afaire for a faire to do, equivalent to a (< Latin ad to) + faire ≪ Latin facere; replacing Middle English afere < Old French
Parts of speech for Affairs
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 94% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
affairs usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for affairs
- business — Business is work relating to the production, buying, and selling of goods or services.
- matters — the substance or substances of which any physical object consists or is composed: the matter of which the earth is made.
- dealings — Someone's dealings with a person or organization are the relations that they have with them or the business that they do with them.
- activities — the state or quality of being active: There was not much activity in the stock market today. He doesn't have enough physical activity in his life.
- undertakings — the act of a person who undertakes any task or responsibility.
Antonyms for affairs
- hobbies — an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation: Her hobbies include stamp-collecting and woodcarving.
Top questions with affairs
- how many affairs has bill clinton had?
- how long do extramarital affairs usually last?
- what are public affairs?
- presidents who had affairs?
- how long does affairs last?
- why do men have affairs?
- why men have affairs?
- why do people have affairs?
- how long do affairs last?
- who is the secretary of veterans affairs?
- what is public affairs?
- how many affairs did bill clinton have?
- how do affairs start?
- why men have emotional affairs?
- why do married men have affairs?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with af
- Words starting with aff
- Words starting with affa
- Words starting with affai
- Words starting with affair
- Words starting with affairs
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,f
- Words containing the letters a,f,i
- Words containing the letters a,f,i,r
- Words containing the letters a,f,i,r,s