- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of advert word
- countable noun advert An advert is an announcement in a newspaper, on television, or on a poster about something such as a product, event, or job. 3
- countable noun advert If you say that an example of something is an advert for that thing in general, you mean that it shows how good that thing is. 3
- noun plural advert You can use the adverts to refer to the interval in a commercial television programme, or between programmes, during which advertisements are shown. 3
- verb advert to draw attention (to); refer (to) 3
- abbreviation ADVERT advertisement 3
- intransitive verb advert to call attention or turn one's attention (to); refer or allude 3
Information block about the term
Origin of advert
First appearance:before 1375
One of the 22% oldest English words
1375-1425; late Middle English a(d)verten < Old French a(d)vertir ≪ Latin advertere to pay attention, equivalent to ad- ad- + vertere to turn; ad- replacing a- a-5
Parts of speech for Advert
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 80% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
advert usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for advert
- notice — an announcement or intimation of something impending; warning: a day's notice.
- observe — to see, watch, perceive, or notice: He observed the passersby in the street.
- consider — If you consider a person or thing to be something, you have the opinion that this is what they are.
- attend — If you attend a meeting or other event, you are present at it.
- refer — to direct for information or anything required: He referred me to books on astrology.
- advertisement — An advertisement is an announcement in a newspaper, on television, or on a poster about something such as a product, event, or job.
- ad — You use AD in dates to indicate the number of years or centuries that have passed since the year in which Jesus Christ is believed to have been born. Compare BC.
- announcement — An announcement is a statement made to the public or to the media which gives information about something that has happened or that will happen.
- poster — post horse.
- billboard — A billboard is a very large board on which posters are displayed.
Antonyms for advert
- ignore — to refrain from noticing or recognizing: to ignore insulting remarks.
- disregard — to pay no attention to; leave out of consideration; ignore: Disregard the footnotes.
- miss — to fail to hit or strike: to miss a target.
- neglect — to pay no attention or too little attention to; disregard or slight: The public neglected his genius for many years.
- overlook — to fail to notice, perceive, or consider: to overlook a misspelled word.
Top questions with advert
- what does advert mean?
- what is an advert?
- who does the dior advert?
- who is the girl in the coral advert?
- who is the actor in the new mcdonalds advert?
- who does the rimmel london advert?
- who created the famous lemon advert for volkswagen?
- what is a digital advert?
- how do you like me now advert?
- who is the woman in the dior advert?
- who sings the song in the new john lewis advert?
- who is the girl in the vo5 advert?
- who sings the john lewis advert?
- who is the model in the dior advert?
- who stars in the galaxy advert?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with ad
- Words starting with adv
- Words starting with adve
- Words starting with adver
- Words starting with advert
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,d
- Words containing the letters a,d,v
- Words containing the letters a,d,v,e
- Words containing the letters a,d,v,e,r
- Words containing the letters a,d,v,e,r,t