- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of adopted word
- adjective adopted having been adopted 3
- verb with object adopted to choose or take as one's own; make one's own by selection or assent: to adopt a nickname. 1
- verb with object adopted to take and rear (the child of other parents) as one's own child, specifically by a formal legal act. 1
- verb with object adopted to take or receive into any kind of new relationship: to adopt a person as a protégé. 1
- verb with object adopted to select as a basic or required textbook or series of textbooks in a course. 1
- verb with object adopted to vote to accept: The House adopted the report. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of adopted
First appearance:before 1490
One of the 26% oldest English words
1490-1500; (< Middle French adopter) < Latin adoptāre, equivalent to ad- ad- + optāre to opt
Parts of speech for Adopted
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 98% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
adopted usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for adopted
- preferred — to set or hold before or above other persons or things in estimation; like better; choose rather than: to prefer beef to chicken.
- urged — to push or force along; impel with force or vigor: to urge the cause along.
- nonresident — not resident in a particular place.
- foreign — of, relating to, or derived from another country or nation; not native: foreign cars.
- in demand — popular, wanted, sought after
Antonyms for adopted
Top questions with adopted
- when was the declaration of independence adopted?
- celebrities who adopted?
- when were the articles of confederation adopted?
- when was the constitution adopted?
- when was common core adopted?
- where and why were standard time zones first adopted?
- when was the ffa creed adopted?
- how do you spell adopted?
- when was declaration of independence adopted?
- famous people who were adopted?
- how to get adopted?
- when was the us constitution adopted?
- when was the mexican flag adopted?
- when can kittens be adopted?
- when was the bill of rights adopted?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with ad
- Words starting with ado
- Words starting with adop
- Words starting with adopt
- Words starting with adopte
- Words starting with adopted
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,d
- Words containing the letters a,d,o
- Words containing the letters a,d,o,p
- Words containing the letters a,d,o,p,t
- Words containing the letters a,d,o,p,t,e