- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of acquitted word
- verb with object acquitted to relieve from a charge of fault or crime; declare not guilty: They acquitted him of the crime. The jury acquitted her, but I still think she's guilty. 1
- verb with object acquitted to release or discharge (a person) from an obligation. 1
- verb with object acquitted to settle or satisfy (a debt, obligation, claim, etc.). 1
- verb with object acquitted to bear or conduct (oneself); behave: He acquitted himself well in battle. 1
- verb with object acquitted to free or clear (oneself): He acquitted himself of suspicion. 1
- noun acquitted Simple past tense and past participle of acquit. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of acquitted
First appearance:before 1200
One of the 9% oldest English words
1200-50; Middle English aquiten < Anglo-French, Old French a(c)quiter, derivative, with a(c)- ac-, of quite free of obligations < Medieval Latin quit(t)us, Latin quiētus quiet1; cf. quit1
Parts of speech for Acquitted
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 80% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
acquitted usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for acquitted
- innocent — free from moral wrong; without sin; pure: innocent children.
- blameless — Someone who is blameless has not done anything wrong.
- guiltless — free from guilt; innocent.
- above suspicion — in such a position that no guilt may be thought or implied, esp through having an unblemished reputation
- in the clear — free from darkness, obscurity, or cloudiness; light: a clear day.
Antonyms for acquitted
- guilty — having committed an offense, crime, violation, or wrong, especially against moral or penal law; justly subject to a certain accusation or penalty; culpable: The jury found her guilty of murder.
Top questions with acquitted
- what does acquitted mean?
- what does the word acquitted mean?
- what does it mean to be acquitted?
- what is the definition of acquitted?
- what is acquitted?
- why was andrew johnson acquitted on charges of impeachment?
- what does acquitted?
- why was oj simpson acquitted?
- how to get acquitted?
- how was oj simpson acquitted?
- how did casey anthony get acquitted?
- when was casey anthony acquitted?
- why was lizzie borden acquitted?
- what does being acquitted mean?
- what is the meaning of acquitted?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with ac
- Words starting with acq
- Words starting with acqu
- Words starting with acqui
- Words starting with acquit
- Words starting with acquitt
- Words starting with acquitte
- Words starting with acquitted
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,c
- Words containing the letters a,c,q
- Words containing the letters a,c,q,u
- Words containing the letters a,c,q,u,i
- Words containing the letters a,c,q,u,i,t