- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of achieving word
- verb with object achieving to bring to a successful end; carry through; accomplish: The police crackdown on speeders achieved its purpose. 1
- verb with object achieving to get or attain by effort; gain; obtain: to achieve victory. 1
- verb without object achieving to bring about an intended result; accomplish some purpose or effect. 1
- noun achieving Present participle of achieve. 1
- noun achieving Achievements, emphasizing the process of accomplishing them. 0
Information block about the term
Origin of achieving
First appearance:before 1275
One of the 13% oldest English words
1275-1325; Middle English acheven < Old French achever to finish, from phrase a chef to (the) head (i.e., to conclusion). See chief
Parts of speech for Achieving
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 87% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
achieving usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for achieving
- doing — action; performance; execution: Your misfortune is not of my doing.
- phoenix — a state in SW United States. 113,909 sq. mi. (295,025 sq. km). Capital: Phoenix. Abbreviation: AZ (for use with zip code), Ariz.
- transcendence — the quality or state of being transcendent.
- impeccability — faultless; flawless; irreproachable: impeccable manners.
- faultless — without fault, flaw, or defect; perfect.
- performing — to carry out; execute; do: to perform miracles.
- realising — to grasp or understand clearly.
- effectual — producing or capable of producing an intended effect; adequate.
- realizing — to grasp or understand clearly.
- in force — physical power or strength possessed by a living being: He used all his force in opening the window.
Top questions with achieving
- how do you spell achieving?
- which dynasty came closest to achieving dualism?
- how to motivate low achieving students?
- what you get by achieving your goals?
- what is your action plan for achieving your goal?
- how do you plan on achieving your goals?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with ac
- Words starting with ach
- Words starting with achi
- Words starting with achie
- Words starting with achiev
- Words starting with achievi
- Words starting with achievin
- Words starting with achieving
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,c
- Words containing the letters a,c,h
- Words containing the letters a,c,h,i
- Words containing the letters a,c,h,i,e
- Words containing the letters a,c,h,i,e,v