- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of abstaining word
- verb without object abstaining to hold oneself back voluntarily, especially from something regarded as improper or unhealthy (usually followed by from): to abstain from eating meat. 1
- verb without object abstaining to refrain from casting one's vote: a referendum in which two delegates abstained. 1
- noun abstaining Present participle of abstain. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of abstaining
First appearance:before 1350
One of the 20% oldest English words
1350-1400; Middle English abste(i)nen < Middle French abstenir ≪ Latin abstinēre, equivalent to abs- abs- + -tinēre, combining form of tenēre to hold, keep
Parts of speech for Abstaining
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 82% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
abstaining usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for abstaining
- abstinence — Abstinence is the practice of abstaining from something such as alcoholic drink or sex, often for health or religious reasons.
- denial — A denial of something is a statement that it is not true, does not exist, or did not happen.
- brush-off — a refusal to talk or listen to someone; abrupt or final dismissal or rebuff.
- nonparticipation — absence of participation: Nonparticipation of citizens in political matters hampers efforts toward better government.
- renouncement — to give up or put aside voluntarily: to renounce worldly pleasures.
- sober — not intoxicated or drunk.
- intoxicated — Archaic. intoxicated.
- low key — of reduced intensity; restrained; understated.
- ascetic — An ascetic person has a way of life that is simple and strict, usually because of their religious beliefs.
- abstinent — forbearance from any indulgence of appetite, especially from the use of alcoholic beverages: total abstinence.
Antonyms for abstaining
Top questions with abstaining
- what does abstaining mean?
- what is abstaining?
- what is the meaning of abstaining?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with ab
- Words starting with abs
- Words starting with abst
- Words starting with absta
- Words starting with abstai
- Words starting with abstain
- Words starting with abstaini
- Words starting with abstainin
- Words starting with abstaining
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,b
- Words containing the letters a,b,s
- Words containing the letters a,b,s,t
- Words containing the letters a,b,s,t,i
- Words containing the letters a,b,s,t,i,n