- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of abated word
- verb with object abated to reduce in amount, degree, intensity, etc.; lessen; diminish: to abate a tax; to abate one's enthusiasm. 1
- verb with object abated Law. to put an end to or suppress (a nuisance). to suspend or extinguish (an action). to annul (a writ). 1
- verb with object abated to deduct or subtract: to abate part of the cost. 1
- verb with object abated to omit: to abate all mention of names. 1
- verb with object abated to remove, as in stone carving, or hammer down, as in metalwork, (a portion of a surface) in order to produce a figure or pattern in low relief. 1
- verb without object abated to diminish in intensity, violence, amount, etc.: The storm has abated. The pain in his shoulder finally abated. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of abated
First appearance:before 1300
One of the 15% oldest English words
1300-50; Middle English < Middle French abatre to beat down, equivalent to a- a-5 + batre < Late Latin batere for Latin battuere to beat; a- perhaps also understood as a-3
Parts of speech for Abated
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 83% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
abated usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for abated
- anesthetized — to render physically insensible, as by an anesthetic.
- mended — to make (something broken, worn, torn, or otherwise damaged) whole, sound, or usable by repairing: to mend old clothes; to mend a broken toy.
- anaesthetised — anesthetize.
- relieved — to ease or alleviate (pain, distress, anxiety, need, etc.).
- reduced — that is or has been reduced.
Antonyms for abated
- rose — Remote Operations Service Element
- advanced — An advanced system, method, or design is modern and has been developed from an earlier version of the same thing.
- developed — If you talk about developed countries or the developed world, you mean the countries or the parts of the world that are wealthy and have many industries.
- forwarded — toward or at a place, point, or time in advance; onward; ahead: to move forward; from this day forward; to look forward.
- grew — simple past tense of grow.
Top questions with abated
- what does abated mean?
- what does tax abated mean?
- what is abated value?
- what is abated?
- what does the word abated mean?
- what does abated rent mean?
- what is the definition of abated?
- what is the meaning of abated?
- what is abated rent?
- what is abated value in service tax?
- Words starting with a
- Words starting with ab
- Words starting with aba
- Words starting with abat
- Words starting with abate
- Words starting with abated
- Words containing the letters a
- Words containing the letters a,b
- Words containing the letters a,b,t
- Words containing the letters a,b,t,e
- Words containing the letters a,b,t,e,d